This was my second time at the CMS Expo. I went to my first one two years ago and this year's was even better. The CMS Expo really focuses on the most popular content management systems that are in use for web today like Joomla and Drupal.

So me being a Joomla Web Designer/Developer and going to a conference like this is crucial to find out what's new and the forecasts for next year. I got to hear from the founders of Drupal, Joomla, Dot Net Nuke, and Silver Stripe. I took sessions on CMS Security and Performance, Mobile Joomla, Ecommerce for Joomla, and Joomla Template building, just to name a few. Women designers/developers really came out this year and I was able to meet a great group of them from all over the country and even abroad. The Expo takes place in Evanston, twenty minutes outside of Chicago at the Hotel Orrington very close to Northwestern University. So it's a very hip vibrant neighborhood with lots of shops, restaurants and pubs in walking distance. I was there from May 1st through the 4th and believe me it was non-stop learning and networking. The overall themes that I got from the keynote speakers are that open source Content Management Systems like Joomla and Drupal are giving the commercial systems a lot of competition. The demand for open source CMS sites is huge and the push for mobile sites and apps is going to be even more of a need because mobile usage is exceeding desktop usage. Overall I came away from the conference so excited about the infinite possibilities with web and I can't wait to implement the new tips and tricks I learned!

CMS Expo 2011
Click here for info about the Expo.